U.S. Route 40 is one of the first east-west United States highways from Atlantic City New Jersey to Park City Utah.
U.S. Route 40 is an east-west United States highway. As with most routes whose numbers end in a zero, U.S. 40 once traversed the entire United States. It is one of the original 1920s U.S. Highways, and its first termini were San Francisco, California, and Atlantic City, New Jersey. The western end has been truncated several times, and the route now ends at Interstate 80 just outside of Park City, Utah, near Salt Lake City.
Starting at its western terminus in Utah, U.S. 40 crosses a total of twelve states, including Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey. Two former and four current state capitals lie along the route. For much of its route, U.S. 40 runs parallel to or concurrently with several major Interstate Highways: Interstate 70 from Colorado, to Washington, Pennsylvania; and again from Hancock, Maryland to Baltimore, Maryland; Interstate 64 in parts of Missouri and Illinois; Interstate 68 along the Maryland Panhandle and in West Virginia; and Interstate 95 from Baltimore to New Castle, Delaware.
The route was built on top of several older highways, most notably the National Road and Victory Highway. The National Road was created in 1806 by an act of Congress to serve as the first Federally funded highway construction project. When completed it connected Cumberland, Maryland, with Vandalia, Illinois. The Victory Highway was designated as a memorial to World War I veterans and went from Kansas City, Missouri to San Francisco, California. Other important roads that have become part of U.S. 40 include Zane's Trace in Ohio, Braddock Road in Maryland and Pennsylvania, part of the Oregon Trail in Kansas, and the Lincoln Highway (the first road across America) in California. Along the highway there are hundreds of budget hotels and motels at just about every exit and in every main city. During the Summer travel months these hotels fill up quickly so try to book in advance.
US 40 enters New Jersey in Deepwater, New Jersey along with I-295. US 40 briefly joins the New Jersey Turnpike, and exits to the south of the toll booths. The route follows Wiley Road, parallel to the Turnpike, before joining Harding Highway in Carneys Point. US 40 will be Harding Highway through most of South Jersey. Northeast of where US 40 joins it, Harding Highway carries the NJ 48 designation; though this was once part of US 40 as well.
U.S. Route 40 in Maryland runs from western Maryland to Cecil County in the state's northeastern corner. With a total length of over 200 miles, it is the longest numbered highway in Maryland. Almost half of the road overlaps with Interstate 68 or Interstate 70, while the old alignment is generally known as U.S. Route 40 Alternate, U.S. Route 40 Scenic, or Maryland Route 144.
Holiday Inn Express North East MD
- The Holiday Inn Express & Suites, North East, MD is located on the north end of town only 1/2 mile from Interstate 95. Positioned in the heart of the North Eastern Maryland, our award-winning hotel offers 71 over sized rooms including 22 suites.
Holiday Inn Chesapeake House MD
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Hotel Chesapeake House. Our beautiful hotel just finished a complete renovation in March 2009, and is an officially re-launched Holiday Inn. We offer true value to our travelers which includes a free full hot breakfast buffet to all our guests. We are centrally located in the city of Aberdeen, MD, right off I-95.
Holiday Inn Express Edgewood MD
- Come home to Edgewood where at the Holiday Inn Express we have the edge on your business and leisure travel needs. Our hotel thrives on making your stay Simply Smart with our signature bedding collection, showers and Express Start breakfast.
Holiday Inn Inner Harbor MD
- The moment you enter the Holiday Inn - Inner Harbor until you return home, you will experience all the "charms" that give Baltimore its "charm city" nickname. The hotel is conveniently located only three blocks from the Baltimore Inner Harbor attractions; and is across from Camden Yards- home of the Baltimore Orioles, the Baltimore Convention Center, and 1st Mariner Arena.
Holiday Inn Express Frederick Mall (I270/Rt 85) MD
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Frederick-FSK Mall! This Frederick Hotel is adjacent to the Francis Scott Key Mall. We are located within a mile of I-270 Technology Office Park & Westview Office Park. Local corporations include State Farm, Allegheny Power, Lockheed Martin, Bechtel, Landmark Avaiation, BP Solar, Chase, FKI Logistics, Frederick Aviation, Hood College, Wells Fargo, Ft. Detrick and many more!
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Hagerstown MD
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites offers all the modern comforts at our affordable hotel exuding luxury through beautifully decorated rooms.
US 40 enters Pennsylvania at West Alexander. It closely parallels I-70 from West Virginia until it reaches Washington where it follows Jefferson Avenue and Maiden Street. In Washington, US 40 passes to the south of Washington & Jefferson College. US 40 bypasses Uniontown along a limited access highway that also carries US 119. An old alignment through Uniontown is signed as "Business US 40." Southeast of Uniontown, travellers pass the Fort Necessity National Battlefield.
Holiday Inn Washington PA
- This Pittsburgh area hotel is conveniently located at the crossroads of I-70 and I-79, 30 minutes south of downtown Pittsburgh.
US 40 enters Ohio just to the south of New Paris. Through most of Ohio, US 40 is known as National Road. The road parallels I-70 eastward towards Dayton. In Vandalia, the road passes to the south of Dayton International Airport and crosses I-75 and the Great Miami River. The road never actually enters Dayton, instead skirting the northern suburbs on the way towards Springfield.
Holiday Inn Express Columbus-West Broad Street OH
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Columbus-West Broad Street. We are a modern hotel conveniently located just off the Columbus Outerbelt at I-270 and W. Broad St., 1 mile from I-70 and 7 miles from I-71. This gives easy access to virtually all areas of Columbus.
Holiday Inn Express Wheeling-East OH
- The Holiday Inn Express Wheeling, WV is conveniently located on I-70 at exit 11, Dallas Pike, in Wheeling, WV, just 1/2 mile from Cabela's and Wheeling's many attractions.
Holiday Inn Express Pickerington-Columbus Area OH
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pickerington is located off I-70(e) at exit 112 A (route 256), the hotel is located on left side. Motorcycle Hall of Fame located just .2 miles away.
Holiday Inn Express London OH
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel London is located off I-70 and Route 42, at exit 79. Holiday Inn Express, London, Ohio is just 20 miles from downtown Columbus, and conveniently located just miles from Stanley Electric Target Distribution, Staples Co, Showa Aluminum, EBBY Trailer, Furniture Restoration.
US 40 enters Indiana from the west at unincorporated Liggett along with I-70. US 40 leaves the interstate at exit 1 and parallels an old alignment named "Old US Hwy 40". US 40's last stop in Indiana is the city of Richmond. In Richmond, it passes a statue known as "Madonna of the Trail", one of a series of twelve statues across the U.S. to memorialize women pioneers who made the trek to settle the western U.S.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Indianapolis City Centre IN
- Discover the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites City Centre, located in beautiful downtown Indianapolis.The 108-room hotel features spacious studio suites, whirlpool rooms, and standard guestrooms. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites City Centre offers a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
Holiday Inn Richmond IN
- The Holiday Inn Hotel Richmond, IN offers high-speed Internet throughout the hotel and free hot breakfast buffet.
Holiday Inn Express Airport IN
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel Indianapolis - Airport is conveniently located off I-70 and S.R. 267 just 2 miles west of the Indianapolis International Airport, and 13 miles west of downtown Indianapolis. Exquisitely renovated. Room renovations completed fall 2007. The property is located adjacent to Chateau Thomas Winery and many other restaurants are within walking distance.
In the state of Illinois, US 40 follows I-70 east from the Poplar Street Bridge and parallels it through most of the state. It is either directly concurrent with, or closely parallels, I-70 through the entire state. Between Pocahontas and Mulberry Grove US 40 passes through several small towns. In Vandalia, Illinois, the former state capitol, it follows Veterans Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard (with US 51) through town.
Holiday Inn Express Effingham IL
- The Holiday Inn Express Effingham Hotel is an exceptional hotel with 118 rooms located at the ''Crossroads of America,'' right off of Interstates 57 and 70. The hotel is within walking distance to 7 restaurants and the Thelma Keller Convention Center.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Vandalia IL
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Historic Vandalia, IL Conveniently located off I-70, our pet-friendly hotel in Vandalia, IL offers an ideal location near the Old State Capitol Building along with premium amenities to ensure you have a comfortable stay.
Holiday Inn Express Highland IL
- Welcome to the newly renovated and updated Holiday Inn Express - Highland, IL! We are located just 30 miles east of downtown St. Louis, off I-70 at exit 24. The hotel is within walking distance of several restaurants and stores.
US 40 enters Missouri following Interstate 70 across much of the state, and parallels it for the rest of its route in the state. Entering in Kansas City, it leaves in St. Louis on the Poplar Street Bridge across the Mississippi River.
Holiday Inn Select Downtown Convention Center MO
- The Holiday Inn Select Downtown/Convention Center is a first class hotel located in the heart of downtown St. Louis and 12 miles from St. Louis Lambert International Airport.
Holiday Inn Express St. Louis West O'Fallon MO
- Putting guests conveniently close to leading businesses of O'Fallon, Mo., and the boutiques, restaurants and area attractions of downtown St. Louis, the Holiday Inn Express St. Louis West O'Fallon is an ideal choice for travelers.
Holiday Inn Express Warrenton MO
- Relax at the Holiday Inn Express® Hotel Warrenton, MO Winner of the 2008 Quality Excellence Award for guest satisfaction, our accommodations are the perfect stop for any trip to St. Louis or Columbia because we are well-situated right off of I-70, and we provide the services you deserve at a price you can afford.
US-40 enters Kansas near the unincorporated community of Weskan. The first sizable town it enters is Sharon Springs, where it intersects K-27. From there it goes northeast to Oakley and follows Eagle Eye Road before a merge with I-70 east of town.
Holiday Inn Express Kansas City-Bonner Springs KS
- The award winning Holiday Inn Express Kansas City-Bonner Springs is located on the west side of Kansas City, at the intersection of I-70 and K7 Highway, just west of the Kansas Speedway, Cabela's, and Nebraska Furniture Mart.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Topeka KS
- Race fans and business travelers looking for Topeka, Kansas hotels find our location at the intersections of I-70, US-40, K-4, I-470 and US-75 highways to be a practical and convenient benefit for their traveling needs.
Holiday Inn Express Junction City KS
- Inn Express Junction City is conveniently located three miles from Fort Riley, home of the Big Red One. Holiday Inn Express Junction City, KS is conveniently close to Kansas State University, Manhattan,Weststar Energy,Viola Water, Conagra,Foot Locker,and Colbert Hills. Nearby is downtown Junction City,and Milford Lake. Several other local attractions are only minutes away from the hotel.
Entering Colorado to the south of Dinosaur National Monument, U.S. 40 runs east through the small town of Dinosaur along Brontosaurus Boulevard. The route continues a generally easterly course though Moffat and Routt counties, passing through several small communities along the way. It generally follows the course of the Yampa River. U.S. 40 becomes Lincoln Avenue as it runs through historic downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Holiday Inn Denver-Central CO
- Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, Holiday Inn Denver Central Hotel is the perfect home base in Denver! Only 3 miles from downtown, our hotel is close to the Colorado Convention Center, Coors Field, Invesco Field at Mile High, Pepsi Center, Elitch Gardens, Denver Art Museum and the Capitol and many other attractions.
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Craig CO
- The Holiday Inn is a first class hotel, 17 miles from the Steamboat/Hayden Airport and 36 miles from Steamboat Springs. The newly renovated Holiday Inn is Craig's largest hotel. We are proud to boast the largest indoor entertainment facilities in the city.
Holiday Inn Steamboat Springs CO
- Right in the heart of the Rocky Mountains and on U.S. Highway 40, this budget hotel's accommodations in Steamboat provides a top location for business and leisure travelers alike.
The western terminus of U.S. 40 is in Utah at Interstate 80, several miles north of Park City, at Silver Creek Junction. The road is a limited access highway from the I-80 junction to its intersection with Utah State Route 32 south of Park City, about 13 miles . From there, the road takes a generally southerly course to Heber City before turning southeast and passing by the northern shores of Strawberry Reservoir. U.S. 40 goes through the towns of Duchesne, Roosevelt and Vernal before entering Colorado.
Holiday Inn Express Vernal-Dinosaurland UT
- Conveniently located in an area rich with natural history, our Vernal, UT hotel provides guests with the perfect location for exploring local attractions like the beautiful Uintah Mountains, the High Uintas Wilderness and Dinosaur National Monument.
Holiday Inn Express Heber City UT
- The Holiday Inn Express Heber City is a first class hotel located 50 miles from Salt Lake International. An outstanding and inviting property, this hotel is the best place to call home while traveling on business or pleasure.
Find a Holiday Inn hotel on your next road trip
Interstate 80 Hoilday Inns - New York City to San Francisco
Interstate 90 Hoilday Inns - Boston to Seattle
U.S. Route 40 Hoilday Inns - Atlantic City to Park City